Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Where John Went

This space has been too quiet, don't you think?  Aside from my Friday Flash, The Bathroom Monologues were pretty much dormant for the last week. It still feels like cheating. Does it feel like being cheated? I sure hope not.

Most of my energy had been going into the first feature length screenplay of my life. I can't say too much about it, or who it's for, or what might come of it - not yet. But I can say these three things:

1. It's a Horror movie.
2. In fact, a Slasher movie, responding to the things I grew up loving about them.
3. Specifically those things Scream and Behind the Mask didn't cover. Cabin in the Woods? Ehhh. No.

I'll throw in that Scream 4 was madly underrated. Love that final act enough that I'd pay money for a Scream 5. I'm one of those people. I grew up walking distance from a pharmacy with a VHS section that rented movies for a dollar a day. My siblings can attest to how thoroughly I plumbed the Horror racks. The amount of times I rented Predator 2 alone probably paid for some pharmacist's kid's braces.

That's also why one of my killers is a pharmacist.

Darn it, now I've said too much.

I've also been relatively quiet on all social media because I spent Friday traveling to visit a friend and build a new PC. It's the first computer I've ever built by hand and I learned that I really don't know what I'm doing. There's just enough competence for me to figure out that a zip-tie is caught in a side-fan. Just barely enough. But the new rig is sturdy, non-figuratively cool, and has Word 2003 all loaded up. I think I'm six scenes away from the rough draft being ready to rest in peace.


More than the building of the computer, the driving destroyed me. After six hours at the wheel for two days, I can barely move my ankles, my hamstrings keep waking me up, and my knees, neck and spine all hate me. It was still neat to know I can physically drive that far, even if it means a little agony.

Also, I'm going to start saying "non-figuratively" until we get "literally" back. Or, in case we never get it back. One seems more likely than the other.

What have you been up to?

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a busy and fun time John. Your screenplay has also been keeping you busy. ^_^ I've spent the last few weeks rewriting and extending a serial of mine called Mind Noise which I submitted to Crooked Cat Publishing and today they signed this novella up to be published in 2014 so I too have been busy ^_^ and not writing more than 100 word flashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great about Mind Noise, Helen! Crooked Cat really loves you. Congratulations!

      Delete
  2. Sorry you can't drive long distances without pain.
    And that's how you learn to build computers - you dive in and do one. You'll get the hang of it.
    Killer pharmacist. From space? Wait, no those were clowns...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh, a pharmacist killer? There's so much potential in that! Best of luck with the screenplay... and for the computer, ermagherd, that's way over my empty head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise it isn't a movie about over-the-counter demise!

      Delete
  4. Launched a book this week. That's enough for any week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a horror wuss so when your screen play gets turned into a movie, I'll have to pass. But I will say I commented on his blog!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Horror? Sounds right up my alley-can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on your screenplay! I'm afraid that I'm not a huge fan of horror, but I hope to hear about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Non-figuratively, I like it! A horror film, eh? I'm hoping it still has your brand of humor in it :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. A friend of mine is currently working on his third zombie film (the first one won some awards and did well at the festivals; the second one is being submitted now). Therefore, I fully endorse writing a screenplay and spending less time on the blog. Not no time, just less time.

    Yay for screenplays!

    ReplyDelete

Counter est. March 2, 2008