Thursday, November 22, 2012

Give Thanks – Will Is Okay!

This is a little touchy-feely, but I’m going with it. As I get older, I’m definitely getting softer, and in the last two years I’ve learned that’s actually quite a pleasant thing.

Today is Thanksgiving in the United States. It’s a holiday with a troubled past, but a good meaning: to remember what you are thankful for.

Well, I have a roof over my head, and it’s warm in my house. We couldn’t always afford heat in the winter, or food. I don’t have to worry about where my next meal is coming from. I do not ever underestimate these things. I am thankful for them every day. For the people who dislike Thanksgiving as something unnecessary – we ought to be more mindful of what we’ve got. But to me, and people like me, having an annual reminder of a virtue is useful.

I’m particularly thankful today because my cousin, Will Corcoran, got his liver transplant. If you haven't read about him before, this kid has been fighting Cystic Fibrosis his entire life and was suddenly confronted with a life-or-death need for an operation. The operation was back in October, and Will had to split it with two other recipients, but he got enough to live. I’d held off announcing it because there were complications, and “too soon” is seldom a good time for celebration. But now it’s been over a month, he’s had regular check-ups, and is healthy enough that tomorrow he’ll attend my family’s big get-together. It’ll be the first time I’ve been able to see him in years. More important than that, he has years to come.

 
It’s worth being thankful for.

What are you thankful for this year, friends and fellow humans?

7 comments:

  1. Oh that is awesome news, John! Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I'm thankful for? I'm thankful for my cozy, warm cabin on the North, for Freddy, because without him my life would meaningless, for every sunrise and sunset and the most - I'm thankful for being Canadian. Happy Thanksgiving John!

    ReplyDelete
  3. for this post, and what was said...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving, John! This year I'm thankful for a new location, a brand new job that keeps me happy, and reconnecting with friends. Lots of love and good thoughts to you and your family. Congratulations to Will, so glad he's doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's wonderful news about Will! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the best news, John, and has made me very happy this morning. I hope you all had a happy, relaxing day together yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I'm thankful for my family and friends and all that's good in the world.

    ReplyDelete

Counter est. March 2, 2008