Monday, October 22, 2012

Consumed Presents: Paranormal Activity 4



Consumed rises from the grave! I managed to browbeat Max Cantor into joining me for Paranormal Activity 4 this weekend, and we recorded a fresh podcast about it last night.

If you know, you know I love Found Footage flicks. They are my cinematic opium, and Paranormal Activity has been my favorite annual dealer until now. PA4 is nearly incoherent, and Max bravely joins me in diving into how it falls apart, from lack of innovation with their cinematography and scares, to just failing to deliver a plot even though it’s on fictional rails. If you like rants, you’ll enjoy Max swearing he’ll never pay to see the fifth movie. Me? I know I’m doomed to repeat it.


If enough listeners enjoy it, we’ll do a bigger retrospective episode on the franchise. It seems only fair to give it some praise, especially with how many times I’ve re-watched the first film.

6 comments:

  1. Going to listen now. I haven't seen it yet. I loved the first one, but the subsequent films went down and down in my opinion. I'm interested to hear what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it, Laurita! I felt they coasted with 2, but that 3 was surprisingly strong. Holding out hope for something in 5.

      Delete
  2. See, I wisely choose to see Sinister over PA4 this weekend (partially because rotten tomatoes warned me how bad PA4 was but had good things to say about Sinister) and I would HIGHLY recomend it. I'll listen, though out of morbid curiosity I'll probably still watch it when it comes out on cable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested for Sinister, and will at least see it via Netflix. I'm just such a sucker for Found Footage, as we discussed on the podcast, that I had to spend my one cinema visit on this. Otherwise been ungodly busy lately, and next weekend will be no better.

      Delete
  3. Thanks to the podcast, I now have something that Hollywood should stop doing 'cos it isn't creepy: associating witches with Satanism. That's like saying Catholics worship Burning Man, and it always knocks my suspension of disbelief very solidly to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At present I'm just afraid that Satan is the endgame for the series. Though regardless, the demon has a very stereotypical-looking coven, and I agree, the depiction is strikingly inaccurate for it to be such a pervasive stereotype of any sort of American Wiccan/Pagan group.

      For what it's worth, that is not a factor in Movies 1 or 2, and almost not a factor at all in 3.

      Delete

Counter est. March 2, 2008