Saturday, December 11, 2010

Bathroom Monologue: "Imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do" -John Lennon, "Imagine"

Laid my head on the pillow and did as he asked. All the lines disappeared off the globes. Tax men took off their ties and road workers dropped their jackhammers, no longer getting fiscally motivated. Pedestrians wandered out of their houses, looking skyward and puzzling out just had changed, just milling, just wondering around, not asking, because to ask would be to connect with a goal, and that would be governance. They did a lot of staring until a wave emerged, I think from China or Russia or Utah, one rogue government rolling forth, marching together and bombing wide. They blew all the accidental anarchists off the face of the earth. Nobody aligned to stop them, because the singer ordered no governments. So they died, asking why this one government was allowed to form and getting no answers. I never did find out why. I got up and had things to do, and by that time he was singing the next track on the CD.

2 comments:

  1. You too were remembering John Lennon on the 30th anniversary of his death. This is a wonderful tribute to some powerful lyrics. Great stuff.

    Thank you for reading my flash stories. I should be more prolific now that NaNo is finished. It kept me glued to the laptop for a month.

    BTW, 'dresch' comes from the German 'to flail', so when an Afghani yells it at you it basically means 'stop or I shoot.' That's my interpretation anyhow, but that is the word they use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have missed this, but it's really great and sadly true. We can imagine all we want, but the reality is, someone will always be there to take advantage of the peace.

    ReplyDelete

Counter est. March 2, 2008