Thursday, September 2, 2010

Bathroom Monologue: Liner Notes for "Non-Starter"

This album is the greatest project of my entire career. In twenty-two years I’d never harmonized so many tracks and themes. It was supposed to come out in 2002, but I got a little carried away researching in India and Pakistan. I wound up composing more material for this than any other project in my life. The big stumbling point was figuring out which track should open the album. The first one I wrote is more middle-material, and there are eleven tracks that really could start the thing off. Finally this summer I decided – screw it, the album will have no beginning. The songs are so intertwined that the only justice is giving no way to start it. That may be too existential for some listeners, but I think a 31-track album that you can’t begin listening to is just what the industry needs. Fuck Hollywood and it’s anti-endings; this is the anti-beginning. Hit play and enjoy it anywhere – the car, subway, airport, club or church. I guarantee it’ll be the same unexperience everywhere.

1 comment:

Counter est. March 2, 2008