Saturday, February 9, 2008

Bathroom Monologue: Ill-Advised

"I know I don't have cancer, and telling those people that I do is technically lying. I've got M.S. And maybe it's wrong to substitute one medical nightmare for another, but when I say I have M.S., people think I've got stock in the company that makes Windows. And when I explain that I've got a primary progressive case of multiple sclerosis, they think I've got a crooked spine. So unless I'm talking to someone who can prescribe morphine, I've got cancer. Even if people don't know what it is, they at least know it's bad and shut up about it, which is all we cripples can ask for."

1 comment:

  1. Kind of like me saying I'm diabetic instead of trying to explain the many symptoms of a "crash" when I'm stressed or haven't eaten in a while. (Except... um... way less serious than cancer.) You gotta speak language people will understand.

    ReplyDelete

Counter est. March 2, 2008